Sunday, September 16, 2012

09.13.12 - Keith Hudson Tribute

LISTEN TO THE ARCHIVE AT JAMAICAROCK.COM




























This show is dedicated to and inspired by the great producer and artist Keith Hudson aka "The Dark Prince of Reggae", known for his influence on dub music.  Most of the songs on the show are sung by or produced by him, though I did include some other songs by artists he has worked with or that I thought went with the sound of the Hudson tunes. I apologize for some technical difficulties early on in the show, apparently the needles were a bit worn, and once we figured that out and replaced them, everything was alright...

I recommend reading up about Keith Hudson if you do not know a lot about him, his career is filled with so much work that I was unaware of. Here is a link to his wikipedia page here and also a discussion on a blog to whether or not "Pick A Dub" is officially the first dub album or not here. Apparently Ian Curtis of the English band Joy Division was a huge fan and I end the show with his favorite Keith Hudson song "Turn The Heater On", followed by a tribute cover from New Order that was made for Curtis. I love seeing the influences of Jamaican music throughout music all over the world, and I can only imagine how far-reaching Keith Hudson's have been.

No comments:

Post a Comment