Tuesday, October 9, 2012

10.04.12 - Delroy Wilson & Love Songs

LISTEN TO THE ARCHIVE AT JAMAICAROCK.COM


Delroy Wilson

















This show goes out to the late great Delroy Wilson, born October 5th 1948. His albums were some of the first ones in my record collection and his voice will always be a special remembrance of those times for me. He recorded his first tune in 1961 for Coxsone Dodd at the age of thirteen and had many of his hits on the Studio One label, but also enjoyed plenty of success throughout the 70s with other legendary producers such as Lloyd Charmers, Keith Hudson, Joe Gibbs, Niney and Harry J. You can check out the killer video above of him doing a take of "Dancing Mood" in Bunny Lee's studio with Jammy at the controls. Since I often play Delroy Wilson tunes on the show, I tried to focus on ones that I may not have played recently or as often as the others, though I did want to play some of his top songs as well. Inspired by his song "True Believer In Love" I also wanted to showcase love songs and lovers rock by some other artists like John Holt, Slim Smith and even Beres Hammond and Super Cat.

No comments:

Post a Comment