Wednesday, March 19, 2014

02.27.14 - Philip Smart, Jackie Mittoo and Burning Spear

LISTEN TO THE ARCHIVE AT JAMAICAROCK.COM


Philip Smart

Jackie Mittoo
Burning Spear




Another sad event this week as another reggae great, producer and engineer whose career spanned over five decades, Philip Smart passed away. I'm no writer so please learn about him if you don't already know. I start the show off with one of my favorite songs of his, a Paragons tune off the Eclipse label "A Place Called Zion". I will soon do a show that covers more of his dancehall hits. What I had planned was a show based around the birthdays of two Studio One legends, Jackie Mittoo and Burning Spear. Not only do their musical catalogs play well off of one another, they actually played together many times. Rest in peace to Mr. Smart and Mr. Mittoo and may Spear live another lifetime. Check the archive.

No comments:

Post a Comment